Friday, February 21, 2014

Picky, Picky, Picky

You would probably be surprised to hear about the every day foods I have never eaten. Well, "never" until SOMEBODY kind of made me. A couple years ago, I couldn't tell you what a grape, apple, orange, pineapple, or even lettuce tasted like. I have always been an extremely picky eater. As a kid, there were a few things I was "made" to eat, gross things like baked beans, polish sausage with sauerkraut, and even venison. That's right, Bambi. Yuck. Needless to say, I did not explore with food, spices, or anything of the sort. 

I ate lots of hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, pizza, tacos, burgers, grilled cheese, and spaghetti. My go to lunch that I would pack for school was a cheese sandwich. Yes, that's right. Nothing fancy. Bread -- Cheese -- Bread, then pack it in a sandwich baggie and I am ready to go. Eventually I think I threw some bologna into the mix. Oh, and don't let me leave out spam. Yes, I ate spam. That was a "special treat" when we got to eat spam. I can't tell you how many times I would cut myself trying to twist that little key around the metal can to get to the spam. Fry it up and it is good to go! Delicious! The only yogurt I would entertain was Dannon Lemon yogurt. I was convinced I wouldn't like any of the others because they had fruit in it, and I didn't eat fruit. I am really not even sure why. I just didn't think I would like it. 

Even as a adult, I didn't venture out beyond my go to foods; there was a lot of chicken, burgers, pizza, and pastas. Oh, how I love the pasta dishes!

My guy and I have been together for almost two years. Since the start of our story, he has "made" me try new things. Not by force, of course, but he can be pretty darn persuasive. I am a very textured eater, so grapes still freak me out a little bit when the water squirts out into my mouth, but I do like them and I deal with the texture. I try not to eat them in front of people because I am pretty sure I make a goofy face. I really like apples and eat them on pretty regular basis. They are delicious! I have been missing out on some really good stuff. Probably my favorite new experience that I pretty much beg for every time he is home is Curry Chicken. It is amazing. My taste buds go crazy for that stuff! I have now eaten watermelon, but I am pretty sure I make the same face as when eating grapes. I still don't do oranges, but I will suck the juice out of them. Today I had some bites of a chicken, bacon, ranch sandwich. I didn't think I would like the ranch part. It was really good. 

I still can't tell you what a banana tastes like. That is one food I will never eat, pickles too. I can't get past the smell of either of those vastly different foods. Neither of those will every look, smell, or (I can only imagine) taste good, but at least I am exploring more. He has opened me up to so many new food choices, most of which I end up being a big fan of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment