Thursday, March 20, 2014

Oahu - Descriptive Write

As I step off the airplane, my tired body is suddenly rejuvenated by the Hawaiian sun soaking its way through my skin and into my soul. All the pressure and stresses of everyday life melt away as I inhale and exhale slowly, deeply in total relaxation. After a short twenty minute drive, we have arrived in Honolulu, Hawaii, home to historical Pearl Harbor and the United States Pacific Fleet.

After checking into the vibrant, incredible Waikiki Hotel, which nestles against the sandy shores of Waikiki Beach, we head straight to the water. The first thing I notice is the breathtaking background Leahi, also known as Diamond Head State Monument. It is wondrous! Its natural beauty inspires me, a 760 foot tuff crater that offers a panoramic view of Honolulu is something we will have to inspect more closely before our departure. For now, we stretch out our blanket against the hot, soft, inviting sand and soak in what surrounds us. The crashing of the waves as they crest and disappear against the stone wall that separates the beach from hotels, sidewalks, and traffic drowns out conversations happening nearby.

After allowing the warming sun to bond with our bodies, we decide to experience the water. I notice the way the sand creeps between my newly manicured toes and covers the bottom of my feet, inching upward as I sink into the uncountable beachfront morsels. I feel the coolness of the water rushing over my feet. I am surprised at the relative warmth of the clear, blue water surrounding me. Our bodies adjust to its temperature very quickly as we embrace. This is magical. I wanted to stay in the water but my body was craving the sun and something to quench my growing thirst.

You haven't had a Mai-Tai until you have had a Mai-Tai in Hawaii. It seems that everything is richer, more natural, less concocted. The smooth blending of rum with a variety of tropical fruit juices brought my taste buds alive and awakened my spirit with its refreshing cleanse. After a couple of these delightful drinks we were ready to head back to the hotel and clean the remnants of the beach from our every crevice and prepare for dinner. I looked forward to experiencing an authentic luau with Kalua Pig accompanied by marinated, steamed cabbage and all the trimmings. It was sure to be a chance of a lifetime moment I would never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment