Friday, January 31, 2014

"This I Believe" Freewrite

I believe that my connection with God is stronger than it has ever been. I have always believed in God, but never really felt a personal connection where I could say, "That was God." My personal experiences in church growing up was sporatic at best. I remember going to a tiny little white church as a pre-teen. I really liked it there. It was very small and everybody seemed to know everybody else. If I remember correctly, my mom grew up going to that church. As important as it seems to have been to her, I am surprised that there wasn't more of a presence of God taught to us. I remember Sunday School, sitting in a room with my sister, reading from the bible and hoping not to embarrass myself by messing up the words. One time I was told where to stop reading, but I forgot so I just kept reading. No one stopped me. I finally stopped on my own because I thought surely I am done by now. When the next person took their turn, they basically re-read the second half of what I read. Whoops! I guess I went way over! We went to that church here and there, off and on...then it would just stop. I do remember that the pastor's wife died and later the pastor also. I really liked him. I think once they were both gone, that was the end of the little church I grew up in.

There was another church I remember going to. It was huge, especially compared to the small group I was used to. I did not like it there. The best part was sitting in the pew and eating all of my mom's velments (no clue how to spell it) like they were candy. Looking back I think she gave them to us to keep us quiet. I felt out of place there. It seemed impersonal and cold. I didn't mind that we stopped going there. 

When I was married we occasionally went to a catholic church. I felt extremely out of place there. I knew nothing about the catholic religion, but my spouse was catholic, although certainly not practicing. 

Fast forward to about a year or so ago, and I am living on my own terms with my kids and decide, hey, we need to find a church. I just felt an urge to reconnect with God. I asked around and a few people all suggested the same church, North Point Baptist Church. I have to say, from the first moment we walked through their welcoming doors, I felt like I was home. A feeling came over me like I knew this is where I was suppose to be. The wonderful lady holding the door for us welcomed me and my kids. I mentioned that it was our first time and North Point, and without hesitation, she got someone else to cover the door and took us on a tour. She showed me each of the kids rooms they would be in and then took me in to the service, just as it was getting ready to start. She even offered to sit with me in service! How sweet is that? Since then, I have continued to grow closer and closer to God. I have learned so much and really grown to love my fellow North Pointers. They truly are a community of fabulous people who believe that it takes action to change and improve the lives around us. Now I can feel God with me again. It is the most amazing feeling. 

599 WORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment