Sunday, February 16, 2014

A beautiful day

     Today was a beautiful day, or at least that was the impression I got as I sat at my desk for countless hours knocking out one assignment after the next and re-writing notes, of which I still have more to do. My desk now faces our patio doors, which provides me a view of the blank courtyard where we live. There used to be picnic tables and a playground, but that has all been removed for one reason or another. Thankfully, our children are resourceful and can have fun with very little resources, just as I did when I felt the freedom of being outside. The sun is shining on our courtyard, kissing the faces of smiling children and warming the ground that was recently covered with snow. Spring is coming.

I can hear all the "apartment children" laughing and playing. I am able to focus on one particular laugh that I know very well. As I peer over my computer screen, thru the blinds, and out to the courtyard, I see our little boy running, giggling, and kicking a ball with his brother and sister, all the while trying to keep it away from them. I want to be out there. I want to feel the sun on my face, warming me. I want to kick a ball around and chase our kids and enjoy this beautiful day God has given us. I want to grab my softball mitt and our little man's tiny, new tee-ball mitt and teach our boy how to play catch so he can surprise his Daddy when he gets home from being on the road working. Once again, the fun I intend to surround myself with has to wait another day. Bummer. 

As I try to focus of the positives of the day, I think about when our little man got up from his not-so-long nap, there was no 'hi mommy,' all he said was, "movie." He is turning into quite a movie fan. I can't wait for Daddy and I to be able to take him to a "real" movie in a big theater. I am curious to see what he does with all that wonderment. My homework had progressed along, so we popped in "Despicable Me," one of his favorites, and snuggled up on the couch together. As he lay against me, I could feel how completely relaxed and at peace we both were. These are the connections, the quiet times that I long for. He is always running at full speed, for him to slow himself down, and allow me to have some time with him and bond with him, there is no greater gift. I soaked up all forty or so minutes of it until his sister, the saboteur, said, "You wanna go back outside." That was the end of mommy and me time.

Our little man went out to have some fun while I fell asleep on the phone with Daddy. I guess I was even more tired, with this crazy schedule of one long night after another, than I thought. Was I making a selfish decision in agreeing to take a nap instead of running outside to play? I knew I needed it to make it through the rest of the day and still have enough energy for what the rest of the evening had in store for us. 

As I wrap up my reflection of the day, having kissed my babies and told them good night, I hope that tomorrow will bring us another beautiful day and renew my chance to connect with our three blessings and all that surrounds us. 

 

2 comments:

  1. This is a very nice reflection. Sounds like you are trapped in busy. Running and playing outside is most always a very good thing and sometimes is just as beneficial as a nap. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. A.,
      Thank you for your kind words! I am so glad Spring is finally here! We have been enjoying time outside with our new puppy as often as my schedule allows! I am looking forward to a much less hectic summer!

      -J

      Delete