Monday, February 24, 2014

My Boy...Nice Try

Early this evening, I was sitting at my computer doing schoolwork, as I do most evenings. My daughter and son were sitting at the table doing homework, or so I thought. I was enjoying a rare occurrence; they were sitting, nicely conversing with one another. There was no arguing, just a pleasant conversation. Mother's intuition must have kicked in because I started to tune out of what I was doing and tune into what they were saying. It sounded like they were discussing a book they both had read. Then mommy radar went off. I knew my son had a book report to work on. Did my daughter read the same book? Is he asking her questions about it to get the answers he needs for his report? Is she unknowingly filling in the holes of his book report? So, I asked them what they were doing. As it sounded, they were talking about a book. 

Time to investigate.

I walked over to them and immediately recognized the look on my daughter's face. She was thinking one of two things. I just got caught doing something I shouldn't be doing or I have no clue what is going on. It's the same look so I have to dive in further to determine what is transpiring. My son's behavior also warned me that something was off. As I asked more questions to get to the truth of what was happening, the story got interesting and funny too.

My boy had been assigned a book report the beginning of February. I remembered advising him a week or so ago to ask his teacher if he could bring the book home to read because he was He decided that since he didn't finish reading the book, he would do the book report on another book that his sister was very familiar with. Why was his sister so familiar with this book? Because she wrote it! Yes, my son was asking his sister about a "book" she wrote under the pretenses of claiming he forgot what happened in her book. I have no doubt he never read her story, not that it matters.

For a boy who has gotten all A's and B's since the beginning of the school year, he made a pretty bone-headed choice. We talked about how his teacher would notice that the report was about a book that didn't exist in publication, nor was it the book he had chosen to do a report on. It looks like my boy has a lot of reading to do this week and will have to turn his report in late since he didn't bother to bring the book home today either.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment