Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Extra Tight Squeezes

There is only one thing on my mind tonight, so here goes...

Something devastating happened very close to where I live yesterday, just before 5pm. A beautiful little 10-year-old girl, who I can only imagine was full of life, was taken off the street. She was walking the two blocks to get from her friend's house to home and a man in a truck stopped and asked her for directions. He lured her in close enough to grab her and did just that. A man who happened to be out in his garage saw it happen. He chased the truck, but of course, the truck was out of sight in mere seconds. Thankfully, they did get his plate number and Amber Alerts went out quickly. My understanding from reports published online this evening is that he was captured within three hours of the incidents onset. Unfortunately, that wasn't fast enough for little Hailey Owens, whose body was discovered in his home. 

I can't help but to think of my babies and having to imagine my life without them is incomprehensible. I can't do it. Tragedies like this happen and it just reminds me that our worlds can change in an instant. We aren't guaranteed anything in this life. I have been talking to my kids a lot about being aware of their surroundings, staying away from "strangers." The truth is, it may not be a stranger. This man was a football coach and a teacher's aide. I understand that he did not work at her school, but again, it just reminds me that horrible people with evil intentions can come in all shapes and forms. They can be our neighbors, our teachers, our friends and God forbid even our families. 

Of course, we can't go through life thinking that everyone is out to get us, because then we are no longer living, we are just surviving. I hope something good comes from such evil things. I hope that every parent out there is hugging their children extra tight this evening, as I will be, and thanking God for keeping them safe. I will pray for Hailey's soul, I know she is with God. I will pray for her family, her friends, our entire community that has been rocked by this terrible event. I hope that you will too. 

"Porch Lights for Hailey Owens" was started on Facebook. There are porch lights all over the U.S. that will stay lit tonight, including mine, to show support to her family during this horrific time. There will also be a Candlelight Vigil in downtown Springfield this Saturday night on Commercial Street at 8pm. 

I am squeezing my babies extra tight this evening. They will have to get over it. I am their mama and I want them to always know how very precious they are to me. I just wish my backbone was home to give me the same squeezes and tell me that everything is going to be okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment