Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Is it Summer yet?

Finals were over. The fall semester was almost a wrap and I was already busy planning my Spring semester. I love being a college student, working toward a goal, and week after week learning new things about myself as well as my scholastic pursuits. I had my classes all lined up when everything changed. I hurt my knee and initially could barely walk on it. Suddenly, I was dreading the Spring semester thinking about how I could get around campus in such a way that it wouldn't prolong my healing process. I have a very full life and didn't want to be kept "down" for an extended period of time. After talking it over with my better half, we decided that the best thing to do would be to change things up. I dropped all the seated classes I was looking forward to and signed up for online classes. For some crazy reason, I also decided to pick this semester to take on full-time credit hours. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. 

I thought I would go online a couple of times a week, turn in assignments, and have more free time to spend with my family. I was very, very wrong. Looking back, doing a little research before jumping to this decision would have been a great idea. I had no clue that online classes would be INTENSELY more demanding than seated classes. The fact that I went from two or three classes to five classes probably helped that feeling along. I had bitten off more than I could chew. 

So, I am going to tell you what I wish I had allowed someone to tell me. Don't do it! Run away! I hope you are still reading, because that was a joke! If you are going to take online classes, you MUST plan ahead. Expect to spend about three hours of your "free" time devoted to schoolwork for EVERY one credit hour; that is per week. So, if you have twelve credit hours (considered full-time) that is thirty-six  hours spent pretty much online. That is a job! There will be a lot of online time, reading time (there is a lot of reading), doing assignments, and taking notes. I haven't sat down and figured out the time, but I will tell you this: Expect to be online every night doing schoolwork! If you have a day off of work, you will probably use most of that on schoolwork too. I didn't realize that teachers would be making up for the lack of classroom discussions in an online discussion board. I understand why they do it, I just hadn't planned for it. This adds a significant amount of time online and reading.

Get organized BEFORE the semester starts! So much time is wasted in disorganization. Set yourself up for success. I keep a binder with details of each course between separator tabs; course syllabuses, rubrics, special instructions, pretty much anything you want to be able to access quickly should be readily available. I also have a separate five-subject notebook for each class. You are also going to want to put together a calendar that has ALL of your commitments on it, whether it be related to work, school, or private life (if you are lucky enough to still have one after work and school...good luck with that!) If you take some time at the beginning of the semester to do these things, you will save yourself a lot of time and stress in the long run. Trust me on this one! 

Talk to the important people in your life about the commitment you are making. It is going to take sacrifice -- on your part and on theirs. Just ask the wonderful man in my life or my kids, one of which is 99% his and 1% mine. I get the poop and the puke. I know what you are thinking; raw deal. Don't worry, it's an inside joke and you aren't suppose to get it. As I was saying, it's a balancing act that I can't give much advice on because, quite frankly, I am still trying to figure it out myself. I know every day that I am very blessed to have a man in my life who supports the goals I have made, probably even more than I do. He once even sent me to our bedroom to do homework when he caught me making faces at the kids! He sacrifices time we could be spending together so that I can pursue my dream. I want a college degree for myself and to improve our future. 

My family has sacrificed a lot in order for me to pursue my education. I can not wait to complete this semester with another 4.0 and TAKE THE SUMMER OFF! I am so excited! I plan to have a lot more time for my family. I have some making up to do. They have to deal with a crazy lady for sixteen-week increments. As much as I love being a student and am thoroughly enjoying the learning process, I love being a mom and partner-in-crime for life immensely more. Ninety-three days and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment