Thursday, February 13, 2014

Is Romance Dead?

I Google everything; it is pretty much my go-to online resource. According to Google, the definition of "romance" in the noun form is a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love. The very rapidly approaching holiday, Valentine's Day, begs the following question: Is romance dead? 
I actually took a poll on Facebook to see what some of my friends had to say about it. As I suspected, no one said that it was "dead", however, one person thought it might be sleeping. I am thinking a little nudge in the right direction can wake it right up from that nap!

I believe that romance is displayed in millions of little ways, not just grand gestures. You hear all the time that it is the little things that really matter. When I think of romance, I think of the little things. The every day "I love you" that makes your heart just melt. The "I miss you" that lets you know someone is thinking about you and can't wait to be with you again. Catching your special someone looking at you just for the sake of looking at you and you realize your heart is beating faster. These are all lovely, small, romantic gestures to be treasured. 

Whether or not you have romance in your life probably depends on how you would define romance. I think anything my guy does for me that makes my day easier, brighter, or just a little less stressed is perfectly acceptable to put into the romance column, because it is all done in the name of love. Refusing to let me take out the trash, marking things off the honey-do list every chance he gets, late night movies snuggled up on the couch when it is just us, protecting our family, supporting all of my goals, and most of all putting up with me are just a few of the wonderful things that spell out romance for me.

Don't get me wrong; we want some grand gestures too! And, by "we", I mean me! I think some men think "grand gesture" and see their wallet emptying at an exasperatingly fast rate. Not true. Some of the most romantic things a guy can do for his girl wouldn't cost him a dime. I don't know any girl who wouldn't love a poem, an unexpected kiss, a big hug that you are in no hurry to let go of, a pat on the bottom as you walk past them, a love letter, a sweet serenade of a special song, or just walking hand-in-hand no matter where you are. To me, these are the grandest of gestures because they can not be bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment