Sunday, February 9, 2014

My Response to the Know Your Audience Discussion Board (Guided Post)



     The Know Your Audience discussion board was an interesting and enjoyable experience for me. I can’t think of a better way to get a glimpse into each others lives, considering the learning environment we are in. This being an online course, we don’t have the opportunity to all sit in the same room and discuss our thoughts, ideas, passions, or desires week after week. The Internet is our classroom. 


     Collectively, we all managed to come up with questions that, when combined, would teach us something about one another's past, present, and future. We all wrote fondly about our favorite childhood cartoon; of which Scooby-Doo shone above all others of equal entertainment value. I thought this was a great question, because I have no doubt that while each of us sat at our computers, pondering the question, we each had a smile on our faces and thoughts of simpler times running through our heads. Speaking of laughing, there was another question about what makes each of us laugh. It was a pretty even split where half of us identified a specific person, or people, in our lives and the other half detailed something on television. It would have been nice to see more people associate their laughter coming from those around them, because I think it is important to have people in your life who truly make you laugh. I have been blessed with three children who all make me laugh in their own way, and a special man in our lives whose smile and laugh is completely infectious.


     How we spend our free time was also an even split. Half of us spend that time with our friends and family, while the other half enjoy some sort of entertainment such as movies, video games, and music. I imagine that those who answered with “things” rather than people also share their pastimes with important people in their lives.


I was not surprised, being that our school in Missouri, that the St. Louis Cardinals received the most votes for a favorite sports team and found it interesting that after college half of our class plans to stay in this area, while the other half is open to or is planning to move on in all different directions.


     Going into this exercise, I expected to see a lot of different answers, and I was not disappointed. I believe if you walk into a room and ask each person what song best represents them, what their major course of study is, or what their lifelong dream is, you will get a room-full of varying answers. Overall, most of our answers were vastly different. It made perfect sense. We are all individuals cut from a different cloth. Where we have been, where we are now, and where we are headed is a culmination of our entire lives up until this point. It is wonderful to see so many people, all from different backgrounds and having different life experiences, come together and actively participate in this class, and overall in our education. We could have chosen to simply answer the question to get the grade and move on to the next question. That isn't what happened. We expanded our answers and provided explanations where they weren’t required. This showed me that we don’t have to be just like one another to be able to relate to each other for purposes of communication. We have shared pieces of ourselves with one another, showed support, encouragement, and given advice to each other. 

     I had much lower expectations about online classes as a whole. I didn't expect to get to know anyone. In fact, reality is the opposite. I have better insight into the people that make up ENG-101-W05 than I have had in any other SEATED class in my four semesters at OTC. I am proud to say that I am a part of this fine group of people and I look forward to seeing where this class takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment